Collector e-Award (Sunbeam)
1. Explain who a collector is.
2. Name five popular articles that people are collecting today.
3. Listen to an adult collector as (s)he shows and talks about his/her collection.
4. As a group plan what you want to collect and gather native items in one of the following ways:
a. play a game of A to Z Collection
b. have a nature treasure hunt
Make two very different collections with at least 20 items in each.
a. Objects: stamps, postcards, photographs, coins, etc.
b. Nature: leaves, minerals, feathers, shells, etc.
5. Have a collector’s show and display two collections neatly arranged with objects well identified.
6. Show and explain something you have learned about one of your collections.
1. A collector is a person who gathers things (s)he is interested in and learns about them.
2. Stamps, stickers, buttons, coins, dolls, model cars, baseball cards, etc.
3. You may choose to bring in several different collectors and have them give an age-appropriate talk
about their collection.
4. Make sure that it is permissible to collect in the area you go to. You may wish to collect items such
as rocks, leaves or seeds. (A) Collect one item for each letter of the alphabet, as an apple for A, a
bug for B, crabgrass for C, etc. (You may need to include non-nature items.) (B) A preplanned
treasure hunt with written clues for the children to follow with a “treasure” at the end of the hunt
(could be a toy, a game, food, etc.).
5. Let the children choose items that they may have started collecting already or something that
would fit your area, such as a collection of buttons, stickers, cat pictures, miniature figures, etc.
Use the show as a parent or family meeting or as a nursing home program.
6. Encourage the children to share their collections after they have been neatly displayed, telling their
reason for liking this particular collection and new things they have learned about their collection.
We suggest that if there are any presentation elements of the award you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online and print off the confirmation for your folders.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.