WATCH THE ONLINE TUTORIAL
DOWNLOAD THE PRESENTATION
DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET
- Describe the function of and point out the following components of a personal computer.
- Memory (RAM)
- Mother board
- Hard Drive
- External Drive
- Internal Drive
- Optical Drive
- Input devices
- Modem / Network Card
- Digital Camera
- Describe the proper handling and storage techniques of disks, CDs, CDR’s, DVDs, Flash/USB drives, and other equivalent optical media devices.
- Explain the difference between read-only, write once, and write-rewrite media. What are examples of each?
- Determine the following on a computer system:
- Processor speed
- Storage capacity of the hard drive.
- Memory capacity (RAM)
- What are the advantages of increasing processor speed, hard drive storage capacity, and RAM on a computer?
- List two different types of printers and explain the uses and advantages of each type.
- Explain how each of the following elements helps protect a computer system. Why is computer safety so important?
- Backup of personal files
- Whole system image backup
- Surge protection
- Internet safety hardware/software
- Write a 250-word essay or give a three-minute oral report about the history of computers. Include prominent events and personalities that are significant to the development of the computer, both hardware and software. This report should focus on the development of the personal computer, not the internet or other accessory functions related to computing.
- Spend one week charting the time you spend on a computer. List what time was spent on schoolwork, gaming, online, etc. At the end of the week, evaluate with your counselor, family, or group leader how your management of computer time relates to the Bible’s instructions on stewardship of our time and resources (Romans 14:12; Psalms 31:15; Ecclesiates 31:1-8; Ephesians 5:15-16).
- Dialogue with a long-term computer user about the advantages/disadvantages of Macs and PCs. Some questions you should ask include:
- What operating system does each use? What are ome advantages of that OS?
- What compatibility issues do these two types of computers have in relation to data sharing and program installation?
- What type of industries / careers tend to use each type of computer system?
We suggest that if there are any presentation elements for the requirements you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes. If all is present and correct, your director can then decide if you may be awarded your honour.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online, print off the confirmation and include in your club folder.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.