Gardener e-Award (Sunbeam)
Category: Household Arts
LIVE VIDEO RECORDING
DOWNLOAD THE PRESENTATION
1. Describe what a gardener does.
2. Name three different types of gardens and tell what grows in each.
3. Find at least two places in the Bible where a garden is mentioned.
4. List at least three tools you need for gardening.
5. Demonstrate how to use garden tools properly and how to take care of them after use.
6. Do one of the following:
a. Take care of a small plot of land-sowing, transplanting, planting and cultivating flowers or vegetables.
b. Plant and care for three different plants using a window box, flower pot, milk carton, or can.
c. Make a terrarium and care for it.
Answer helps for parents/teachers
1. A gardener cultivates the soil, plants seeds and sets plants, and feeds, waters, weeds, transplants, and cares for the garden.
2. Vegetable garden: foods such as peas, carrots, beans, etc.
a. Flower Garden: bulb and seed flowers, such as tulips or pansies.
b. Herb Garden: plants for cooking such as parsley, thyme, or mint.
3. Genesis 2:8, Eden; John 18:1 and Matthew 26:36, Gethsemane.
4. Some garden tools often needed are a shovel, rake, hoe, trowel, hose, and wheelbarrow.
5. Discuss safety. For example, to prevent injury, never leave tools where a person may step on or fall over them. Wipe tools clean and store them in a dry place.
6. Teach the Adventurers to enjoy the feel of soil, the excitement of watching things grow, and the responsibility to care for a garden by weeding and watering. The third option may be a group project. If it is selected, help the children choose an attractive variety of plants for the terrarium.
We suggest that if there are any presentation elements of the award you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online and print off the confirmation for your folders.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.