Toy Boat Regatta e-Honour
WATCH THE ONLINE TUTORIAL
DOWNLOAD THE POWERPOINT
DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET
DOWNLOAD THE ADVANCED WORKSHEET
Download the Regatta Rules
- Draw a schematic of a wind powered (sail) boat showing pertinent features and how they function. Features should include, but no be limited to a boom, hull, jib, keel, mainsail, mast, and rudder. How do features commonly removed from toy boats affect functionality?
- Draw a plan for a toy rubber band powered boat of a design of your choosing showing pertinent features that differ from a wind powered boat.
- Be able to describe the Archimedes' Principle of Buoyancy and how this principal applies to all boats.
- Be able to describe Newton’s First Law of Motion and how this principal applies to all boats.
- Be able to describe Newton’s Third Law of Motion and how this principal applies to a wind powered (sail) boat.
- Be able to describe the difference between Potential Energy and Kinetic Energy. Discuss how and when a toy rubber band powered boat uses both types of energy.
- Use recycled materials to make at least one toy wind powered (sail) boat and at least one toy rubber band powered boat. Each toy boat shall be no wider than four inches and suitable for travel in a five-inch roof gutter.
- Participate in an organized wind powered (sail) boat race using a boat you have made to complete this honor (Item 7).
- Participate in an organized rubber band boat race using a boat you have made to complete this honor (Item 7).
- Identify and tell a short story of at least two instances in the Bible that describes floating boats/objects and two that defy Archimedes' Principle of Buoyancy.
We suggest that for the presentation elements of the honour you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes. If all is present and correct, your director can then decide if you may be awarded your honour.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online, print off the confirmation and include in your club folder.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.