Visual Media Critic e-Honour
WATCH THE ONLINE TUTORIAL
DOWNLOAD THE POWERPOINT
DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET
1. As a group, create a list of the various types of visual media. Then participate in an in-depth discussion on how varying types of media can be used to spread the gospel of Christ. Present a summary of your discussion to a different group, or share your conclusions online.
2. Read Patriarchs and Prophets, chapter 41, The Apostasy at Jordan, the two paragraphs beginning with “Keep thy heart with all diligence …”. Discuss how this relates to visual media consumption and how your senses and your awareness of the surroundings are impacted.
3. Compare and contrast the various ratings systems for video games, movies, and television programs with the guidance provided in Philippians 4:8.
4. Discuss the importance of parental involvement in the selection of media.
5. Discuss the impact violence in visual media plays in shaping society and its expectations.
6. Follow the current news for three days and evaluate the sources and accuracy of what has been reported. Evaluate on a scale of one to five where each report falls, with one representing pure entertainment and five representing strictly informational news. Prepare and present your findings to your group.
7. Search the writings of Ellen White for counsel on the wise use of time. Select and read a passage discovered during your search.
8. Keep a detailed record of the amount of time and types of all visual media you consume during a four-day period. Include the following data in your records:
a. Time spent viewing
b. Media rating and rating organization (if available)
c. The plot or theme
d. Purity of content vs sexual and/or violent themes
e. The message that was presented by the media
Prepare a graph or chart illustrating your findings. What changes, if any, do you need to make to your viewing habits? Evaluate how being a Christian should affect your use of media. Be detailed and honest, taking into account what you have experienced in this honor. Share your evaluation in a letter, report, or journal with a trusted friend or leader.
9. View a media presentation with your family. After the viewing, interview your family members using the following questions:
a. Did you find the presentation entertaining?
b. Did you learn anything valuable?
c. Would you watch the presentation again? Why or why not?
d. Did you feel your time was well spent in watching the media?
10. Create a speech, presentation, or game that shows what you have learned about the critique of visual media while earning this honor. Share this presentation with a group.
We suggest that for the presentation elements of the honour you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes. If all is present and correct, your director can then decide if you may be awarded your honour.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online, print off the confirmation and include in your club folder.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.