Category: Arts, Crafts and Hobbies
DOWNLOAD THE LIGHTHOUSES PICTURE FILE
WATCH THE ONLINE TUTORIAL
DOWNLOAD THE POWERPOINT
DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET
1. Describe the following in detail concerning lighthouses:
a. What is the function of a lighthouse?
b. When were the first lighthouses of record built?
c. What is the name of the most famous ancient lighthouse?
d. What are people called who study lighthouses? Why?
e. Do all lighthouses have keepers? If not, how are they run?
2. Research the structure and function of Fresnel lenses. Explain what makes these lenses so effective.
3. Throughout history, what fuels were used for lighthouse lights?
4. Are all lighthouses located along ocean shores? If not, list other locations where you would find a lighthouse.
5. What is the lighthouse service called in your country? What organization or branch of government is responsible for maintaining lighthouses in your country?
6. When a lighthouse is a visible landmark seen from the ocean during the day it can be identified by certain markings. What are these called?
7. What is a foghorn? Why would one be used at a lighthouse? What are three things that affect how far away a foghorn can be heard?
8. Since lighthouses are often called “lights”, explore the concept of “lights” in scripture by doing the following:
a. Look in the Bible Concordance to find “lights” and discuss lights as referred to in the Bible
b. Explain why you think God’s word is like a lighthouse.
c. Memorize John 8:12.
9. Write a poem or a story about a lighthouse light. Include thoughts of God’s “light”. Read your story or poem to your group.
10. Draw or photograph five lighthouse forms/types being used today.
11. Do one of the following:
a. List the names and locations of 5 lighthouses in your state/province.
b. Locate on a map the location of 10 lighthouses in your country/division
12. List the references you used to learn about lighthouses.
DOWNLOAD THE ADVANCED WORKSHEET
Lighthouses Advanced Requirements:
- Have the Lighthouses Honor.
- Make a scrapbook, including the following:
- Pictures, post cards or drawings of 25 lighthouses. Label should include a brief description of: location, year built, active/non-active status, and order of the lens.
- Write up a short history of the above lighthouses.
- Include drawings/pictures and answers to all the requirements for this honor in your scrapbook.
- List the development of a Fresnel lens, including:
- Name of the gentleman who invented it
- Country that he came from
- Year developed
- Draw a Fresnel lens:
- Show how prisms are used to concentrate light
- Draw a bull’s eye lens and state its purpose
- Make a chart showing each class of Fresnel lens:Research and describe the history of the mechanism for rotating lights
- Define order and list by size
- Name at least one lighthouse using each order
- Make a chart of six lighthouses showing nighttime (light) and daytime (daymark) signature.
- What is a lightship? Why and where are lightships needed?
- Read about lighthouse keepers and list some of the hazards they faced in completing their duties.
- Study quotes by Ellen White mentioning lighthouses and discuss the meaning. Place a copy of the quotes in your scrapbook.
- Obtain a “Lighthouse Passport” and have it stamped at 10 different lighthouse locations.
- Build a lighthouse modeled after a real lighthouse using a lighthouse kit, wood, or other medium. Know the name, location, and date when the actual lighthouse was originally built.
We suggest that for the presentation elements of the honour you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes. If all is present and correct, your director can then decide if you may be awarded your honour.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online, print off the confirmation and include in your club folder.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.