Sign Language e-Award (Helping Hand)
Category: Arts & Crafts
LIVE VIDEO RECORDING
DOWNLOAD THE PDF PRESENTATION
DOWNLOAD THE HIGH RES SLIDES
1. Learn the manual alphabet used by the deaf and the rules pertaining to it.
2. Learn how to send and receive words using the manual alphabet.
3. Learn at least fifty words.
4. Learn and present at least one simple Christian song.
5. Where possible, have the Adventurers meet a deaf person and sign with them.
6. Sign a simple Bible verse.
1. As available (from your local Association of the Deaf), use the two-sided manual alphabet cards. That way the children can see what the signs look like from both the sender’s and receiver’s angle.
2. First they can have fun learning to spell their names. Print words on a sheet of paper, and then have the children take turns spelling and receiving the words. Have children get in groups of two and send and receive words of their choice.
3. Words young people really like to learn are the animals and foods. Joy of Signing is a good book to learn these signs, as well as the other signs. It gives both a word and a picture description of each sign. It also tells the sign’s origin (example: Jesus—origin: indicating the nail prints).
4. “Jesus Loves Me” and “Into My Heart” are two examples. Remember to explain the origins when needed.
5. Have someone from your deaf community come in and share a bit of their life with the children and teach them a few words. This will really bring this award to life.
We suggest that if there are any presentation elements of the award you record a video of yourself and include it with your written assessment in your folder. Your director will check all your work when your club resumes.
Finished all your requirements? Complete this form online and print off the confirmation for your folders.
For all your Adventurer and Pathfinder supplies, please check your local conference and union shop. For unique BUC badges, supplies and much more, order from www.pfclub.co.uk.
We are not shipping at the moment, but you are able to place your orders online.